This project is read-only.

Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll Licence

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Hello.

It may be a little bit off topic, but I would like to know the licence of Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll.

Microsoft provides something called PIA, which is a standalone setup program that installs all Office interoperation DLLs to user's system. But I did not want it. I just needed Excel/Outlook interoperation DLLs inside my application folder. This way, the installation is much simpler/smaller and there will be no mess with other versions of the Office DLLs.

I searched the web but I could not find a definitive answer whether I can just put the DLLs into my application folder, without forcing the user to install the whole PIA. You are doing exactly that with WPF Extended DataGrid; You have Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll in your application folder. Is this legally allowed?
Oct 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Hi,

Check this out http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/15s06t57.aspx

Separate Primary Interop Assemblies for Building and Running Projects
Visual Studio uses different sets of the PIAs on the development computer. These different sets of assemblies are in the following locations:
A folder in the program files directory.
These copies of the assemblies are used when you write code and build projects. Visual Studio installs these assemblies automatically.

Do I need to worry about it?

Regards,
bpoojary